[Samba] linux smbclient NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE, mount.cifs works

emre emre at flash.net
Tue Dec 13 12:16:37 MST 2011

 From linux, I can mount.cifs, but smbclient fails:
Searching through the archives, I found: "IIRC you should use mount.cifs
instead of smbclient on an ADS"
But for my application, it would be *really nice* to be able to use
smbclient, but if I have to, I can setup an
intermediate server that can run mount.cifs (the main application server
is locked into an old kernel version
that doesn't support mount.cifs... ).

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
E.

---------------

# mount.cifs //10.24.132.11/shares /mnt/cifs -o
user=correctuser,pass=correctpassword
#

$ smbclient //10.24.132.11/shares -Ucorrectuser%correctpassword
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

$
Here's the log on the server side:

Security ID: NULL SID
Account Name: -
Account Domain: -
Logon ID: 0x0

Logon Type: 3

Account For Which Logon Failed:
Security ID: NULL SID
Account Name: correctuser
Account Domain: DOMAIN

Failure Information:
Failure Reason: Unknown user name or bad password.
Sub Status: 0xc0000064

Process Information:
Caller Process ID: 0x0
Caller Process Name: -