[Samba] linux smbclient NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE, mount.cifs works

ehb emre at flash.net
Tue Dec 13 12:34:18 MST 2011

>From linux, I can mount.cifs, but smbclient fails:
Searching through the archives, I found: "IIRC you should use mount.cifs instead
of smbclient on an ADS"... ok but can smbclient be made to work?
But for my application, it would be *really nice* to be able to use smbclient,
but if I have to, I can setup an intermediate server that can run mount.cifs
(the main application server is locked into an old kernel version
that doesn't support mount.cifs... ).

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
E.

---------------

# mount.cifs //10.24.132.11/shares /mnt/cifs -o
user=correctuser,pass=correctpassword
#
$ smbclient //10.24.132.11/shares -Ucorrectuser%correctpassword
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

$
Here's the log on the server side:

Security ID: NULL SID
Account Name: -
Account Domain: -
Logon ID: 0x0

Logon Type: 3

Account For Which Logon Failed:
Security ID: NULL SID
Account Name: correctuser
Account Domain: DOMAIN

Failure Information:
Failure Reason: Unknown user name or bad password.
Sub Status: 0xc0000064

Process Information:
Caller Process ID: 0x0
Caller Process Name: -