[Samba] wireless

Johannes Truschnigg johannes at truschnigg.info
Wed Dec 14 06:52:00 MST 2011

Hi Anna-Karin,

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 02:06:36PM +0100, Anna-Karin.Burman at bjurholm.se wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> At this school I am working we are setting up a wireless network. What would
> be the best way to set up the system to this network? How should we log in
> to Samba? What should I consider. The wireless system has already been
> purchased by people who have left.

A wireless network is not conceptually different from a wired (Ethernet)
network on and above Layer 3.

One thing that you have to keep in mind is that a wireless network always uses
a shared medium (air), so (in theory) any client on the net can listen to each
other client's traffic while that data is in flight. That may be a problem
when dealing with unencrypted data in that network. Just using a pre-shared
key to secure the WiFi network by means of WPA or WPA2 is not enough, as all
the clients who share that secret will be able to receive the traffic in the
clear - it's a little less secure than a switched Ethernet network in full
duplex mode, so to say.

Other than that, there's no difference from setting up CIFS/Samba on a wired
or a wireless network that should be of concern to you.

--
with best regards:
- Johannes Truschnigg ( johannes at truschnigg.info )

www:   http://johannes.truschnigg.info/
phone: +43 650 2 133337
xmpp:  johannes at truschnigg.info

Please do not bother me with HTML-eMail or attachments. Thank you.