[Samba] Basic network discovery on a microcontroller?

Tom Joseph McLaughlin IV thomasjm at stanford.edu
Fri Aug 26 14:00:31 MDT 2011

Hi,

I have a general Samba question I'm hoping someone can help me with. I'm working on a network device which I would like to make network discoverable, so that you can open up "Network Places" on Windows and see the device there. The project has a microcontroller with a full TCP/IP stack, but no SMB/CIFS library. I'm guessing I only need a small subset of this functionality to send out a discovery broadcast--can anyone give me any pointers on whether this is possible or where I could get started?

Best,
Tom McLaughlin