[Samba] 3.6.0 winbind issues

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Aug 18 11:33:15 MDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 03:11:00AM -0700, Linda Walsh wrote:

> ` Michael Wood wrote:
> >Hi Linda
> >>Yeah...reported this a month ago... as well as other TDB/SID backend probs:
> >>http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2011-July/078663.html
> >>http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2011-July/078826.html
> >>
> >>---
> >>I wasn't sure if it was a 3.6 problem or some type of cockpit error, but
> >>both emails
> >>were ignored.
> >
> >If you find something that looks like a bug and nobody responds to
> >your e-mail, perhaps you should report it via Bugzilla so that it
> >won't get lost.
> ----
>   I don't feel that's something many developers want -- and I know
> some don't.
> If you don't have firm evidence that it's the SW that is broken,
> they'll just close
> out the bug with "Works for Me", and I've wasted my time.  Too many
> times -- even
> with repeatable test cases on too many different projects.    This
> is especially true with
> something like samba where when I asked for any help in tracking
> down this, I was asked to submit a 15-25MB samba log with debug set
> to 10 to the samba list -- NOT to upload
> it to a bug, but dump huge amounts of data to the list.  I didn't
> feel comfortable doing that.  For all I know, unencrypted passwords
> might be buried in that logfile and I'd never catch them -- not to
> mention the flack I'd get for posting something so large to the
> list.
> "What were you thinking?  Well so and so told me, ...you gonna jump
> off a cliff if he
> tells you to do that...etc..."...

No, for Samba if you have a reproducible problem a bug report is
*essential*. Reporting on the list is useful, but easliy ignored.

A bug reported set to a high priority is *always* responded to
before any code is released. Even if it's to set to a lower priority
and mark as "known problem" - you'll get a response.

No such guarentees for the list.

Jeremy.