[Samba] Directly replace smb.

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 02:31:40 MDT 2011

On 16 August 2011 04:06, yyq at eisoo.com <yyq at eisoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,all,
>    I have a redhat linux of 2.6.24 kernel(x86_64), which smb is 3.0, I want
> to upgrade it, but the system doesn't have gcc development and no rpm, that
> means I can't upgrade the smb on this machine.So I compile the new samba on
> other machine and copy necessary files and replace them on my target machine
> and checked:
>
> smbd -V
> nmbd -V
> winbind -V
>
> are all the right version, but I can't start the service: service smb start
> and etc. are all failed. what's wrong with my method?

In what way are they all failing?  What error messages do you get?

I don't know what you mean by "and no rpm".  Do you mean the rpm
command or database is missing/broken?  Or do you mean you have not
found a compatible RPM?

SerNet (www.sernet.de) has RPMs for various versions of Red Hat
Enterprise Linux.  See here:

http://enterprisesamba.com/index.php?id=54