[Samba] Failed join operations

Tue Aug 16 01:13:00 MDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 02:52:49PM +0800, John Huong wrote:
> I'm running a PDC on Samba 3.60. Just freshly upgraded it from Samba
> 3.028a with the purpose of supporting Windows 7. However though all
> the existing users and computers are running fine, I'm stumped trying
> to join a new Windows 7 machine to it. I have applied the
> DomainCompatibility registry fix.
>
> When I try to join a Windows 7 workstation I will get this message :
>

> The join operation was not successful. This could be because an
> existing computer account having the name "NOTREALNAME" was previously created
> using a different set of credentials. Use a different computer name, or
> contact your administrator to remove any stale conflicting account.
>
> Access is denied.

Please send a full debug level 10 log of smbd during this
attempt together with a network trace and your smb.conf
file, even if the data is large.

See http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Client_specific_Log and
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Capture_Packets.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9