[Samba] how to upgrade to samba 3.6.0

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 02:00:18 MDT 2011

On 12 August 2011 08:50, Helmut Hullen <Hullen at t-online.de> wrote:
> Hallo, Christian,
>
> Du meintest am 11.08.11:
>
>>> I am running a version of ubuntu lucid 64 bit, and so will be
>>> upgrading with the apt-get program.
>
>> Well, I have no idea what are plans for Ubuntu (you don't tell what
>> version you're using....sounds like 8.04) but I don't think there
>> will be official upgrades to 3.6 in that version of the distro.
>
> What about
>
>   http://ftp.sernet.de/pub/samba/3.6/src/rpm/samba3-3.6.0-44.src.rpm
>
> and then compiling it to the actual binary?

Doing that on Ubuntu is probably not the best option, given that
Ubuntu is not an RPM-based distribution.  It would probably be better
to backport the Debian/Ubuntu deb rather, but given the OP's
experience level, I would not recommend that.

>> So, you're either on your own rolling out your own packages or local
>> builds....or play russian roulette by using a random repository from
>> random people who backport packages....:-)
>
> "Shock and awe"?
>
>> Or you can just continue using the quite rock solid version you have
>> right now.
>
> "rock solid" is often used for "antique", for "petrified".

Yes, and 3.3 is now deprecated, but the OP says he's already upgraded
to 3.5, so there should be no problem there.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>