[Samba] [homes] share not created unless linux user has a home directory in /etc/passwd

Mark Reidenbach mark.a.reidenbach at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 15:53:22 MDT 2011

When adding a domain user to a samba 3.6 PDC I found that the [homes] share
was not created.  It turns out there was no home directory specified in
/etc/password for this user.  Once a linux home directory was added the
[homes] share worked, but I would expect this to work anyway since a
different path is being used for windows home directories than for the linux
users.   Is this expected behavior or a bug?

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        path = /home/samba/homes/%S
        strict allocate = yes