[Samba] Cannot see linux machines from XP

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sat Aug 6 10:11:12 MDT 2011

On 8/6/2011 9:15 AM, Al Schapira wrote:
> Stan,

Please reply-all as your message didn't go to the list.  There are folks
far more knowledgeable than me who are watching this thread, waiting to
hop in after all the grunt work is out of the way.

> Thank you for your reply.  Searching for computers on DRS2 (XP) for ADS1 or ADS2 'seems' to find them,
> but clicking on either results in a message that the server does not permit the operation.
> It does NOT display the shares on either.

Ok, that's a good sign.

> ADS1, ADS2 do NOT show up in my network places, or in workgroup computers, or in "entire network'.
> The 'entire network' does show the workgroup (GAMMA5), but this only contains DRS2 (itself).

> But, as I said, ADS1 and ADS2 can see AND ACCESS files on all three computers including DRS2.

Then the problem is apparently with XP.  Or, you don't have Samba
properly configured to play nicely with XP, or specifically the way you
want it to (purely guest access).  Disable the XP firewall if it isn't
already.

What is the result when you map a Samba share from the Windows command line?

--
Stan