[Samba] Cannot see linux machines from XP

Al Schapira a.schapira at verizon.net
Fri Aug 5 18:59:15 MDT 2011

I have not yet solved the problem (below).

1) What would prevent both of the linux machines (ADS1, ADS2) from being
seen by the windows machine (DRS2) in its network places even though the
linux machines see all three machines in their network?

2) Does the (non)visibility of the linux machines depend upon the type
of 'authentication mode' e.g. "share" vs "user" configured in samba?

3) Does it depend on specific linux user ids, e.g. "guest"?

4) Do I want the linux machines to be masters or clients, or one of
each, or does the windows machine take control?

5) Can you see any errors in the smb.conf below?

First I want to get the linux machines to be seen, then I'll try to get
their files to be seen.

I would really appreciate suggestions.  Thanks.

	-Al