[Samba] samba4 on debian squeeze

Christian PERRIER bubulle at debian.org
Thu Aug 4 00:44:34 MDT 2011

Quoting John G. Heim (jheim at math.wisc.edu):

> I'd prefer to install from debian packages because that will make
> the upgrade to samba4 seameless once samba4 is in the stable
> repository. If I install from a tarball, its probably not going to
> install stuff where debian likes it. But I figure that even a
> package from experimental will install most stuff where it belongs
> in debian. I've installed packages from experimental & unstable on
> systems running debian stable before but this time it doesn't work.
> Blow is my sources.list and a screen cap of the output from the
> apt-get attempt:

This mostly shows that samba4 from experimental requires several
packages that are not in

> samba4 : Depends: libdcerpc0 but it is not going to be installed
>          Depends: libgensec0 but it is not going to be installed
>          Depends: libldb0 but it is not installable

*that* is the problem. samba4 packages are linked against libldb0
which is not installable.

See http://packages.qa.debian.org/s/samba4.html

I suspect that samba4 uploaded yesterday by Jelmer in experimental
will solve this, but this package introduces new binary packages and
is therefore waiting in the NEW queue, for being processed by Debian
ftpmasters (any source package introducing binaries goes this way).