[Samba] samba4 on debian squeeze

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Aug 3 19:04:51 MDT 2011

I'm setting up a debian squeeze file server with NFS mounted home
directories and authentication via ldap. Now I want to give Windows users
access to those same home directories. I thought I'd try samba4.  I figure I
have nothing to lose since this is a virtual machine and if I don't like the
results, I can just restore from a snapshot. Its not a production machine
yet.

I'd prefer to install from debian packages because that will make the
upgrade to samba4 seameless once samba4 is in the stable repository. If I
install from a tarball, its probably not going to install stuff where debian
likes it. But I figure that even a package from experimental will install
most stuff where it belongs in debian. I've installed packages from
experimental & unstable on systems running debian stable before but this
time it doesn't work.  Blow is my sources.list and a screen cap of the
output from the apt-get attempt:

# Sources.list
deb http://debian.mirrors.tds.net/debian/ experimental main
deb http://debian.mirrors.tds.net/debian/ unstable main
# end sources.list

# apt-get install -fy samba4
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 samba4 : Depends: libdcerpc0 but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: libgensec0 but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: libldb0 but it is not installable
          Depends: libndr-standard0 but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: libndr0 but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: libsamba-hostconfig0 but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: libsamba-util0 but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: python-samba but it is not going to be installed
          Recommends: samba-ldb-tools but it is not going to be installed