[Samba] SAMBA4 Alpha12 password changing problem

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 02:14:28 MDT 2011

On 2 August 2011 23:44, bakytn <bakytn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have successfully installed SAMBA4 Alpha12 as PDC.

Why such an ancient version?

You should consider upgrading to e.g. the Alpha 16 release.

> I added two machines. Ubuntu 11.04 Linux and Windows 7.
>
> They both can authenticate and log in to the machines. WHich is great.
>
> The problem comes when users trying to change their password.
> This is not working! It's constantly complaining for the complexity. However
> I used strong and absolutely different to any previous password.

For Alpha 12, use the following to see the password complexity settings:

net pwsettings show

Use the following to see how to change these options:

net pwsettings --help set

e.g. to change the minimum password length:

net pwsettings set --min-pwd-length=6

With later versions of Samba you'd use the "samba-tool" command
instead of "net".

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>