[Samba] Samba authentication problem

Xamindar junkxamindar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 23:54:52 MDT 2011

I'm coming back to this problem after giving it a rest for a while. I
find it hard to believe that no one sets up authentication with security
set to share. Is that really the case? Is share security deprecated and
untested or something? As no one was able to point out what I did wrong
in my config before, I decided to try setting this scenario up on a
completely different system which runs a different distro (same version
of samba afaik).  I am having the same exact problem on this other
machine so it must be a config issue or samba just doesn't work this
way. This time I am testing it by trying to connect to it from a windows
xp and vista machine. Both machines keep re-prompting me for the userid
and password of the share over and over again after I type the correct
password. Why is it so impossible to have a simple username authenticate
to a share? At this point to have a little security, I have to make them
all guest access read only as nothing else works in this mode. I don't
mean to sound a little frustrated but I would have thought samba would
be a little more robust than that by now.

If it just isn't meant to work this way can someone help me out a little
and explain it? I have read through the docs and explanations of the
different options many times and can't find a reason it shouldn't work.
Thanks for any help, I don't know what else to do.