[Samba] PAM winbind authentication problem NT domain

Bob Miller bob at computerisms.ca
Sun Apr 10 13:59:08 MDT 2011

> If I use "wbinfo -a user%password", I get the following results:
>
> 	plaintext password authentication failed
> 	Could not authenticate user%password with plaintext password
> 	challenge/response authentication succeeded
>
> In the logs, I see the error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER.

Maybe you need to put your domain name in front of the user; domain\user
%password

> 	netbios name = NAME
> 	server string =
> 	workgroup = DOMAIN
> 	security = domain
> 	password server = *
> 	encrypt passwords = yes
> 	wins server = 66.67.68.69
> 	winbind separator = .
> 	idmap uid = 500-599
> 	idmap gid = 500-599
> 	idmap backend = tdb
> 	winbind enum users = yes
> 	winbind enum groups = yes
> 	template homedir = /home/%D/%u
> 	template shell = /bin/bash
> 	winbind rpc only = yes
> 	winbind offline logon = yes
> 	winbind normalize names = yes

I guess that should be domain.user%password since you have winbind
separator configured.  Conversely, you could try adding winbind use
default domain = yes so the domain name part isn't necessary...

Bob Miller
334-7117/660-5315
http://computerisms.ca
bob at computerisms.ca