[Samba] acl_xattr access denied when adding permissions for another user

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Apr 6 12:56:26 MDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 08:50:57PM +0200, Thomas Nau wrote:
> On 04/06/2011 07:28 PM, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 10:21:41AM +0200, Thomas Nau wrote:
> >>
> >> We had issues in the past as ZFS and Windows have a different understanding
> >> about how to sort ACLs. In combination with shared access to Excel documents
> >> this lead to people out locking themselves. I just thought having an independent
> >> ACL store would solve that problem for me :)
> >
> > ZFS shouldn't sort ACLs at all. I don't think any of the kernel
> > code modifies the ACL order, that would change the meaining.
>
> Right, ZFS does not sort the ACLs but as far as I know Windows
> and ZFS interpret them differently with respect to ordering.

No ! They interpret them exactly the same, that was the
reason NFSv4 added them and standardized them as being
essentially identical to Windows ACLs.

See here:

http://blogs.sun.com/lisaweek/entry/nfsv4_and_zfs_acls

for details. Unlilke POSIX processing, and like Windows
processing, the entire list is walked to determine access,
not the most specific match.

> >> Are you using vfs_zfsacl and did you ever run into the problems I mentioned?
> >
> > I'm not personally, but the Nexenta people are and they haven't
> > reported bugs.
>
> Good enough for me :)

:-).

Jeremy.