[Samba] samba server dependents

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 13:34:17 MDT 2010

If you are starting with a clean machine, you can probably pick an OS
distribution that already has Samba included.

A fairly recent version of Fedora Core Linux (12 or 13) should have
samba bundled with it (along with OpenLDAP and kerberos.)   I would
guess that most current Linux distros include Samba.   You would want
something that has Samba 3.4.x or 3.5.x which are both being maintained
and should support Windows 7.

Solaris and OpenSolaris include Samba 3.0.x, which is now at a dead
end.   Compiling a newer version of Samba on Solaris can be a major
challenge.

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7