[Samba] samba acl - able to change permissions that contradict user security setting

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Sep 8 21:42:32 MDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 11:14:40AM -0400, suresh.kandukuru at emc.com wrote:
> Thanks smith for the quick reply. what I want to know is ,can not samba source code  prevent the changing setting rw access to "test_subfolder" user1 , since he has only read only access on  the share "test".

The processing of security on shares and security
in the underlying file system are completely separate.

A user who is only granted "read" access on a share
should not be able to change permissions on a directory
inside the share, as this is a write operation on an
underlying directory.

An "admin" user should be able to change such permissions
at will, as they have full root access to the exported
share.

Can you explain a little more clearly what you are trying
to do (sorry, but I've been a little distracted by other
things at the moment) so I can understand if you are describing
a bug or not ?

Thanks,

Jeremy.