No subject

Wed Oct 20 02:45:58 MDT 2010

d2565778  ) it seems that a BDC can be configured only with a LDAP backend.

> if not you may have to make the
>  new
>  server a PDC.
I don't think I can run 2 PDCs on the same Domain , right ?

>   -  Copy the samba private directory (with the tdb files) from the 1st
>  server to the 2nd server.   In effect, this temporarily syncs the two
>  servers.
Is it sufficient ? Do I have to set the local SID of the BDC as the value of
the PDC's SID ?
i.e. :
[oldserver$]net getlocalsid
-> <value>
[newserver$]net setlocalsid <value>

>   -  promote the new server to PDC and the old server to BDC.
>   -  after hours-  move the shared directories to the BDC, update login
>  script if necessary.
By "After hours" , do you mean after some sufficient long delay (one day ?)
for everyclient to have authenticated with the BDC ?

>  Clients will connect to either a PDC or a BDC for authentication.-  it
>  doesn't really matter that much except that clients will prefer a BDC
>  if
>  available.
>
>  Once you take the OLD server offline you may need to have clients
>  reboot to
>  have them use the new server for authentication.  But at least domain
>  membership will not be broken?
This is not a problem, I can easily ask all users to reboot.

>  Are you using a WINS server?
Yes , samba is also WINS server. Is it important ?

I will have to make some heavy testing before doing the actual migration.
Having 200 clients breaking their Domain membership will be some kind of a
disaster :-( .

Thanks a lot for your help. Any additional information welcome.

Henri