[Samba] Workgroup compared to Domain

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Oct 29 19:33:32 MDT 2010

On 10/29/2010 07:41 PM, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 06:50:08PM -0500, John H Terpstra wrote:
>>>
>> Please help use to understand exactly how ZeroConf helps with user and
>> group management.  Confused by your answer!
>
> Are you one of the original posters alternate personalities?

No, I am not an alternate personality for the OP. The OP asked for
documentation regarding MS Windows workgroups and domains to help him
write documentation for the Amahi project.

If I understood your reply correctly, you believe UPnP and ZeroConf
solves the problem of MS Windows workgroup management.  While that may
be an option it does not answer the OP request very well - or does it?
It certainly does not help him to document the use of Samba which  I
understood as the nature of his request for assistance.

> Otherwise, I'm a little confused by yours.  The OP has said almost nothing about
> about what he's actually looking for; I think you're making some
> unwarranted assumptions about what those needs are.

Maybe I am making too many assumptions, in which case mea culpa.

> Did you even research the Amahi project?

Yes!  I might know a little bit about UPnP and the use of avahi
(zeroconf) - but that is way off topic for questions regarding Samba's
workgroup and domain security models.

> For a lot of it's common uses, UPnP-style
> solutions are actually appropriate.  If the OP has something else in
> mind, maybe you could ask.

If the OP feels inclined perhaps he will respond and clarify.

Cheers,
John T.