[Samba] Windows 7 issue with Send NTLMv2 response only

hagaiy at yahoo.com hagaiy at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 26 08:54:54 MDT 2010

Hello,

I have a strange problem, if any one might have a direction it would be
great.

I am using Samba 3.0.37 (on a Red Hat machine) as a domain member in windows
2008 R2 domain (2008 R2 functionality level). My client is windows 7, that
is configured for "Send NTLMv2 response only" (the default) in the local
security policy setting "Network security: LAN Manager authentication
level".  This works great.

When I try to use the same client, and same SAMBA, but another domain (with
similar settings) I cannot connect, I get the following in the winbind log:

NTLM CRAP authentication for user [2008DOM]\[test] returned
NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD (PAM: 4)

On the domain controller I see in the event log the following:

-	System

		-	Provider

			[ Name] 	Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing

			[ Guid] 	{54849625-5478-4994-A5BA-3E3B0328C30D}

			EventID	4776

			Version	0

			Level	0

			Task	14336

			Opcode	0

			Keywords	0x8010000000000000

		-	TimeCreated

			[ SystemTime] 	2010-10-26T14:29:08.055000000Z

			EventRecordID	19051

			Correlation

		-	Execution

			[ ProcessID] 	452

			[ ThreadID] 	2660

			Channel	Security

			Computer	My2008.2008Dom.com

			Security

-	EventData

		PackageName	MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0

		TargetUserName	test

		Workstation	\\WIN7

		Status	0xc000006a

If I will modify the client setting "Network security: LAN Manager
authentication level" to "Send NTLM response only" in the local security
policy This works great.

So, I probably have some kind of difference between the domains, however I
don’t have any idea what it is. So if anyone can give any insight regarding
why it is working with one domain and not with another (or maybe shed some
light on the errors I get), it would be great.

Thanks,
Hagai