[Samba] Bug in pdbedit?

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Mon Oct 25 10:51:48 MDT 2010

I came across this some time ago and I finally decided to report it:

When I input "pdbedit -Lv root" I get:

Primary Group SID:    S-1-5-21-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-513

But if I use "smbldap-usershow root" i get:

Primary Group SID:    S-1-5-21-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-512

If I inspect the LDAP database with any other tool, the stored value is
512 (Domain Admins).

So, where is pdbedit reading the 513 (Domain Users) from? I thought
that, since I have a LDAP backend, it should be reading it from the LDAP
database...

This has happened both in Samba 3.2.x and all of the 3.5.x releases. I
didn't try 3.3.x and 3.4.x.