[Samba] Application will not run for domain user

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Oct 21 21:39:27 MDT 2010

On 10/21/2010 11:11 PM, Gaiseric Vandal wrote:
> Two possible options:
>

> 1) It may not be a local vs domain user issue. It may be an administrator vs
> non administrator issus.
> Can you add the domain user to the local administrators group?

OK. That was it. Though I added the user into the Power User group. Kind
of hokey that was needed. Good thing there are only a couple computers
here on my network.

And I had to reboot twice. After the change, I still could not run the
program, so on a hunch I reboot. Then XP could not access the user
profile information and created a temp profile. A second reboot got
everything working.

> 2) It may be the file permissions-  samba doesn't always translate the unix
> acl's to windows properly. If you can run quicken with the data on the XP
> machines local hard drive than this is the case.   What is the Samba PDC OS
> and File system?   I found Solaris 10 ZFS was especially tricky.  If you
> right click on a network directory or file, and check the permissions do you
> get an warning about permissions being incorrectly ordered?  Can you check
> effective permissions to see if a "deny group" is overriding an "allow
> user?"

I knew this was not the case. I was able to access the file(s) just fine
from the local user by browsing and mounting the share.

I got this set. Now we will see what is the next issue to pop up...