[Samba] Revisit - Re: Default Hidden Disk Shares

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Oct 20 20:29:41 MDT 2010

On 10/20/2010 09:35 PM, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 09:31:39PM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>

>> On 10/20/2010 03:37 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Not to flog a dead horse,,,,
>>>
>>> I am building a replacement for my old NT server at home (been
>>> running undisturbed since '95) using the amahi.org distro, and
>>> turning on the advanced settings for PDC support.  I have done a
>>> few things with the Amahi developers and have made mods to the DNS
>>> and DHCP setup script to suit my needs.  Now for tackling the
>>> Samba stuff before configuring all new workstations as well
>>> (upgrading from W2K wrkstations to XP pro woo!).
>>>
>>> I am not so interested in C$ to access the whole drive, but to
>>> access all the user shares.  So I was thinking about something
>>> like:
>>>
>>> [C$]
>>>     comment = CC
>>>     path = /home
>>>     writeable = yes
>>>     browseable = no
>>>     valid users = admin1, admin2
>>>     write list = admin1, admin2
>>>     create mask = 0775
>>>     force create mode = 0664
>>>     directory mask = 0775
>>>     force directory mode = 0775
>>>

>> Well, perhaps the masks are wrong because I see all of /home, but
>> admin1 only can access /home/admin1
>>
>> All the other directories gets access denied.
>>
>> So what would be the proper masks?
>>
> The masks aren't what is denying you access, they specify
> the permissions created files/directories get.
>
> Remember Samba is looking at the UNIX permissions on the
> disk. admin1 probably only has access to /home/admin1 and
> no access to any other directory under /home. That's why
> you see what you see.

oh well...

> I'm not clear on what exactly you're trying to do here ?

I want admin to be able to access other user data to clean up any messes
they have. Kind of standard here at home with my kids getting into
challenges and asking for help. Or they did an assignment from the wrong
login, and now I have to move it around. More my wife tends to just use
my login and access her files. Well I will have to skin this cat another
way. Most likely set up some symlinks and ID groups.