[Samba] Revisit - Re: Default Hidden Disk Shares

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Oct 20 19:35:50 MDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 09:31:39PM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> On 10/20/2010 03:37 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> >Not to flog a dead horse,,,,
> >
> >I am building a replacement for my old NT server at home (been
> >running undisturbed since '95) using the amahi.org distro, and
> >turning on the advanced settings for PDC support.  I have done a
> >few things with the Amahi developers and have made mods to the DNS
> >and DHCP setup script to suit my needs.  Now for tackling the
> >Samba stuff before configuring all new workstations as well
> >(upgrading from W2K wrkstations to XP pro woo!).
> >
> >I am not so interested in C$ to access the whole drive, but to
> >access all the user shares.  So I was thinking about something
> >like:
> >
> >[C$]
> >    comment = CC
> >    path = /home
> >    writeable = yes
> >    browseable = no
> >    valid users = admin1, admin2
> >    write list = admin1, admin2
> >    create mask = 0775
> >    force create mode = 0664
> >    directory mask = 0775
> >    force directory mode = 0775
> >

> Well, perhaps the masks are wrong because I see all of /home, but
> admin1 only can access /home/admin1
>
> All the other directories gets access denied.
>
> So what would be the proper masks?

The masks aren't what is denying you access, they specify
the permissions created files/directories get.

Remember Samba is looking at the UNIX permissions on the
disk. admin1 probably only has access to /home/admin1 and
no access to any other directory under /home. That's why
you see what you see.

I'm not clear on what exactly you're trying to do here ?

Jeremy.