[Samba] Shuting down Windows from linux

Nuno Gonçalves nunojpg at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 03:25:56 MDT 2010

I'm trying to shutdown a Windows XP machine from Ubuntu.

nuno at sky9:~$ net rpc shutdown -U "Miguel" -I 192.168.1.66
Enter Miguel's password:

Shutdown of remote machine succeeded
nuno at sky9:~$ rpcclient -U Miguel -I 192.168.1.66 -c REG shutdownEnter
Miguel's password:
failed tcon_X with NT_STATUS_DUPLICATE_NAME
Cannot connect to server.  Error was NT_STATUS_DUPLICATE_NAME

Both of this commands fail. When I check windows logs, they look as if
a "Guest" tried to shutdown the computer. Because of this, if I set
the remote shutdown permissions to "Everyone" it works.
So the issue is: Why isn't it being logger in as "Miguel"?

Trying Terminal Server Client to 192.168.1.66 and User Miguel connects
easily to the windows machine. So the account and password is correct.

Regards,
Nuno