[Samba] re. 3.4.9 printing addprinter command reparse doesn't see new printer

Gary Dale garydale at rogers.com
Tue Oct 5 11:40:47 MDT 2010

On 05/10/10 11:51 AM, Jack Downes wrote:
> The behavior is different from the 3.2.5 version I used to use.   I have
> server that handles some 504 printers for the hospital serving some 2k
> users.  The ratio really isn't that bad, about 150 of those printers are
> specialty label printers.
>
> I moved to the newer Samba because of Windows 7 clients.  Our main IT
> admin said 'No' to Vista so I didn't have to worry about this back
> then...  Anyway, no i'm upgrading because the samba release notes, and a
> lot of the email I read on this list said I should be using 3.4.8 or
> better or 3.5.4 or better.  Well, now I'm on 3.4.9.
>
> That's the history.
>
> Now, the way i was used to the APW working was that on the windows XP
> client, I'd right click, Add Printer, choose my selections, hit finish,
> and then the printer would show up.  There were no error messages with
> 3.2.5, it just worked.
>
> So, I'm building a testing box, attempting to mimic what I've got in the
> 3.2.5/linux box with 3.4.9 on freebsd 8 (it's go zfs is why).  Taking
> this in steps, I'm still using security = user until I get all or most
> of the problems worked out.  I've managed (via google) to remove around
> 90% of my questions / concerns, and am now down to the "Why doesn't this
> work as expected?" one.
>
> What currently happens:
> Right clicking in the windows "Printers&  Faxes" folder to engage the
> APW works as expected, I'm prompted through several fields to the point
> of clicking finish.  After I click Finish, it does appear to work
> correctly.  If it needs to load a new driver, it does that, if not
> things go a bit quicker.  The progress bar goes all the way to the end
> where it pops up a window saying "Unable to add printer. Access Denied"
> or something similar.
> Now, I KNOW the printer is added, that this is just a superfluous error
> message.  I can look at cups, refresh the printers page, and bang, it'll
> be there.  And if I click the 'oK' button on the windows error, and then
> again click 'Finish'  the Wizard at this point will go away, and my
> printer will be there.  The correct driver will be loaded, and it's all
> generally okay.
>
> As an aside, on the things to note:  I put in a request to restart cups
> in the smbaddprinter.pl script - after adding the printer.  This with a
> sleep of about 3 seconds seems to be the best balance and allows me to
> use the double-tap on the Finish button with success - without waiting
> forever.  I think that Samba is not re-parsing the printers from CUPS
> correctly or CUPS (1.4.4) is not returning an up-to-date list for
> whatever reason.
>
> On log level 10 I cannot find what is causing this behavior, however
> it's completely repeatable.  This problem is an irritant, but one I can
> live with.  it's just that this behavior is different than in 3.2.5.
> This is all from memory, I'm not at my desk, and I'm about to get in the
> [...]
I'm wondering about the two things that may have changed besides the
version of Samba. One is that you are using security=user in a system
without a domain. I don't think that should change anything except that
you probably don't have a machine account on the server.

The other thing is that you may be testing using a Windows 7 client. Do
you get the same result using a Windows XP client? Possibly the client
interactions have changed with Windows 7, such as a lowering of the
retry or timeout settings before reporting the error you are getting?