[Samba] Need help compiling Samba on Solaris

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 10:42:31 MDT 2010

Documentation on samba.org is a little iffy -  stuff involving domain
trusts and idmap has really been thin.   I had to rely on google
searches to find info on changes for idmap between 3.0.x and 3.4.x

Are you using  a WINS server?   Active Directory does not require one-
and I suspect Samba 3 as a ADS domain member might not either, but may
help fix browsing issue.   Did you specify the workgroup in smb.conf?
That may also help.

Was a computer account created in AD for your samba machine?

A google search at some point found a solaris or opensolaris forum blurb
about ldap.  Sun's samba build using Sun LDAP client with some work
arounds.    Otherwise openldap is the default.  When you run configure,
it will say which ldap features are supported.   Effectively, if you
want AD support you need openldap.

I think Win 2008 R2 may increase security levels compared to Win
2008.    I think it is safe to assume samba 3.0.x is not Win 2008 R2
compatible.