[Samba] networking problem/Domain not available

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 19:31:57 MST 2010

Is your test PC on the same switch as the samba servers?

Were you able to look at the event logs on the XP machines?

If this problem occurs with the new switch and the PDC but not the new
server ,  the only thing I could think to try would be to lock the server's
NIC settings to force  1 speed and 1 duplex mode.     For XP machines,
Ethernet "media detection" can cause windows network problems-  I know the
problem is not with the XP machine but maybe something similar is happening
on the server side-  pings and dhcp assignments may be more tolerant of a
flaky connection.

If this only happens when both samba machines are on line then you may have
a conflict with which machine is the browser-  although that should only
affect clients just coming on line.  And WINS usually avoids those issues.

Did you copy any "private" or "lock" files from one samba server to another
?    Are both samba servers the same version?