[Samba] Need help changing user password

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 01:03:02 MST 2010

Hi Mark

On 18 November 2010 18:20, Mark Sheppard <mes at ams.org> wrote:
> Michael:
>
> I have checked for both net setpassword and samba-tool in Samba4 Alpha13 but
> they are not there. Maybe I can

The "net" command is definitely part of Samba 4 Alpha 13.  "net" was
renamed to "samba-tool" some time after Alpha 13.

Assuming you installed Samba to the default /usr/local/samba, it will
be in /usr/local/samba/bin.

> download samba-tool which will still work? When I try
> doing a net setpassword it brings up the help menu
> without this item listed. These are the only items
> that are listed which are similar:
>  net getlocalsid [NAME]        to get the SID for local machine name
[...]

That looks like the net command from Samba 3.  You likely have that
installed on the machine and it's in the PATH before
/usr/local/samba/bin (or /usr/local/samba/bin is not in your PATH at
all.)

You should remove Samba 3's net command (which, for Debian/Ubuntu is
in the samba-common package) unless you know you need it.  Also make
sure /usr/local/samba/bin is in your PATH, or specify the full path to
the net command like:

/usr/local/samba/bin/net setpassword username

Otherwise, do as Daniel suggested and set the password from a Windows
machine using the "Active Directory Users and Computers" tool.  See
the Samba 4 HOWTO page for where to get these tools for Windows.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>