[Samba] Two Windows users with two passwords must map to the same unix user

Andre Albsmeier Andre.Albsmeier at siemens.com
Thu Nov 18 00:55:02 MST 2010

Hello,

I have no idea how to implement the following scenario apart
from running two instances of samba on the same machine...

I need a setup where two different Windows users will authen-
ticate with two different passwords but get mapped to the same
unix user.

That is

JOE got password PASS1 and maps to unix user joe with uid 1000

and

JACK got password PASS2 and maps to unix user joe with uid 1000

I can set up two instances of samba on the same machine with two
sets of config files, tdbs, ....

In instance 1 the smbpasswd file contains the password entry for joe:

joe:1000:xxxxxxxxxxxxPASS1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:xxxxxxxxxPASS1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:[UX         ]:LCT-4B6836EF:

In instance 2 the smbpasswd file contains the password entry for jack
(but using joe as unix user):

joe:1000:yyyyyyyyyyyyPASS2yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy:yyyyyyyyyyPASS2yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy:[UX         ]:LCT-4B6836EF:

and a user.map file containing

joe = jack

This should work but I hope there is a simpler method with only
one instance of samba running...

Thanks,

	-Andre