[Samba] Support for WMI?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 9 22:16:15 MST 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 23:48 -0200, Gabriel Abdalla Cavalcante Silva
wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been trying to use wmi-client but without success. I'm really
> like to resolve this issue, I decided to ask for directions to get
> data from Windows servers without the need to install a client.
>
> Thinking about it, I wonder how is the WMI support in samba.
>
> Another point: You can ask questions about wmi-client in this list?
>
> I say this because the mistakes that I currently have are
> 'DCERPC_FAULT_ACCESS_DENIED' and / or 'NT_STATUS_NET_WRITE_FAULT'.

wmi-client is a fork of an early version of Samba4, before we removed
the DCOM code.  We were not involved in or notified of the effort to
develop the WMI code, in the meantime the DCOM support was been removed.
Re-adding DCOM and then the WMI patches (and reworking it to be suitable
for inclusion, both in terms of both licence and code) has been very
difficult, and while some progress have been made, this is not currently
a priority (and is not even included in the current build system).

Jelmer Vernooij wrote in January about the current status:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2010-January/068656.html

Andrew Bartlett

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.