[Samba] Samba4 questions?

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 01:09:12 MDT 2010

On 4 November 2010 16:35, Charles Tryon <charles.tryon at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been doing some work with the new Samba4 version and have some
> questions.  Is this the right list to ask on, or is there a development list
> that would be better?

The Samba4 HOWTO still says "While Samba4 is still in alpha release we
would encourage you to report both your successes and failures to the
samba-technical mailing list on http://lists.samba.org".

I've copied my reply there.

>  (I am currently following the Samba4 HOWTO Wiki at:
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO, and building from the "git"
> repository.  The system seems to be working well, but I have some questions
> about migrating users from an existing Samba3 domain and specifying a

There have been some messages on both the samba and samba-technical
lists recently about migrating from Samba3.  There's a script in
development to do the migration from an LDAP directory, referred to as
myldap-pub.py in the archives.  It will likely be committed to the
Samba repository soon under a different name.

> SID/RID instead of just taking whatever value the system hands out to me.
>  I've spent weeks trying to find answers on Google, but have turned up empty
> so far.)

The provision script does have a --domain-sid option.  I've never
tried it, though.

See source4/setup/provision for the list of options.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>