[Samba] Samba 3.5.6 Syncing passwords

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 05:24:02 MDT 2010

I used to run NIS.    I did not use the "pam password change" option-  the
"unix password sync" "password program" and "password chat" options were
sufficient.

If you run smbpasswd from command line as a regular user, what happens?  All
I can guess is that samba things the unix script failed for some reason.
Can you create a more complex pw change script to capture the user name and
password to a log file?  Were the passwords already in sync?

The passwd command should be running as root, so you should not need to have
the old password.  Did you try "passwd -r nis" instead?

How about if the user has a /etc/passwd unix acct and not nis?