[Samba] Samba 3.5.6 Syncing passwords

Enrique Ayesta Perojo eayesta at portugalete.uned.es
Wed Nov 3 11:32:39 MDT 2010

Hello,

I'm running a Samba 3.5.6 standalone server on FreeBSD 8.1, with XP and 7
clients. I can't get Samba to syncronize Windows & NIS passwords, in fact
it's behaving strangely from what i think:

Relevant (i think) parts of smb.conf:

encrypt passwords = yes
passdb backend = tdbsam
pam password change = yes
unix password sync = yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd '%u'
passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *ReType*new*password* %n\n
*passwd*changed*\n

When 'pam password change' is set to 'yes' a user can change his windows
password, if not the UNIX NIS password is changed, but not the Windows one,
and it says the user can't change it...

I have not made any modifications to my pam configuration, so... any clue? Is
it posible to sync passwords or just one of them can be changed by the user
from Windows?

Thanks