[Samba] getting error with setfacl

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Nov 3 18:29:18 MDT 2010

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 12:23:12AM +0000, Miguel Medalha wrote:

> >Not sure what you mean by "providing them to the OS" ? The store
> >in acl_xattr is a Samba-specific one. If you want the OS to use
> >them that means kernel changes.
>
> Yes. A kernel module maybe, and a utility to manipulate the ACLs on xattr.
> I really like your vfs_acl_xattr idea. Often I need to set ACLs on
> the server side for Windows clients, for example when connected to
> the servers via a SSH shell. I have been doing this with the Linux
> ACLs together with getfacl/setfacl. I would like to increasingly use
> the vfs module from now on, but then I can only set the ACLs from
> Windows, and I dislike the idea.

This probably won't happen, as kernels deal with uids/gids, not
SIDs. However, on Solaris we have ZFS ACLs, and on Linux there
is code called RichACL in development (which matches NFSv4 ACLs,
which are essentially Windows based). Once we have these in
kernel, Samba mapping will get much better and easier. Does
anyone know if something similar is being created for FreeBSD ?

Jeremy.