[Samba] Public no-password share with "security = domain", is it possible ?

Chris Weiss cweiss at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 07:17:56 MDT 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 12:12 AM, Ronal Andadinata <ronal at e-online.co.id> wrote:
> [public]
> path=/share/public
> public=yes
> read only=no
>
> The directory is already in 777 mode. When i try to connect to them from a
> Windows box that's not it keeps asking me username/password.
> If enter a domain username/password, it works, but that's not not what i
> wanted :(

did you also set in global:
map to guest = bad user
guest account = nobody (or some other appropriate for your host OS)

these are the same options required for guest on a standalone server as well
also, if your windows pc is using the same username as one of your
domain logins, this won't work, you'd have to use "bad password" or
"bad uid", but you should read about the caveats in man smb.conf
before doing that.