[Samba] problems after upgrade from 3.3.2 to 3.4.0

Thomas Gutzler thomas.gutzler at gmail.com
Wed May 26 20:00:42 MDT 2010

On 27/05/2010 4:19 AM, Harry Jede wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 26. Mai 2010 wrote Thomas Gutzler:
>>
>> On 26/05/2010 4:44 PM, Christian PERRIER wrote:
>>> Quoting Thomas Gutzler (thomas.gutzler at gmail.com):

> Or my favorite upgrade path:
> # testparm -v -s /dev/null > smb.conf.default-$(smbd -V|cut -f2 -d' ')
> Run this before and after upgrading samba
>
> To get a small host specific file without the services:
> # testparm -s --section-name=global  > smb.conf.$HOSTNAME-$(smbd -V|
> cut -f2 -d' ')

It's a bit late to run it before the upgrade now but I found another
machine running jaunty (enjoy), so I installed samba and ran testparm
with the smb.conf from the updated machine (fintlewoodlewix). Here's the
diff between the two defaults (without the line numbers):
# diff smb.conf.default-3.3.2 smb.conf.default-3.4.0
<       netbios name = ENJOY
>       netbios name = FINTLEWOODLEWIX
<       server string = Samba 3.3.2
>       server string = Samba 3.4.0
<       config backend = file
<       passdb backend = smbpasswd
>       passdb backend = tdbsam
<       use kerberos keytab = No
>       dedicated keytab file =
>       kerberos method = default
>       map untrusted to domain = No
<       max open files = 10000
>       max open files = 16384
<       config file =
<       lock directory =
>       lock directory = /var/run/samba
>       state directory = /var/lib/samba
>       cache directory = /var/cache/samba
>       perfcount module =
>       access based share enum = No
>       browsable = Yes
<       include =

And the host specific ones. The only thing I changed there was to get
rid of the PAM stuff and change the password server from name to IP.
# diff smb.conf.enjoy-3.3.2 smb.conf.fintlewoodlewix-3.4.0
<       obey pam restrictions = Yes
<       password server = io
>       password server = 130.95.136.177
<       passdb backend = tdbsam
<       pam password change = Yes

I also deleted all .tdb files in /var/lib/samba, the machine account on
the PDC and rejoined the domain but authentication still doesn't work.
Neither does the mapping to guest for invalid users.

While I had samba running on the jaunty machine, I joined it to the
domain and tried if I could connect to it using the same machine and
credentials as before; and I could. Even the guest account seems to work
alright with no change in the configuration other than the path in the
share.

I might follow Christians suggestion and upgrade to 10.04 unless there
are any other suggestions. Maybe a second upgrade fixes it.

Tom