[Samba] problems after upgrade from 3.3.2 to 3.4.0

Harry Jede walk2sun at arcor.de
Wed May 26 14:19:54 MDT 2010

On Mittwoch, 26. Mai 2010 wrote Thomas Gutzler:
> Hi Christian,
>
> On 26/05/2010 4:44 PM, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> > Quoting Thomas Gutzler (thomas.gutzler at gmail.com):
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> After upgrading one of my samba servers from ubuntu jaunty (3.3.2)
> >> to karmic (3.4.0) I cannot access the shares any more.
> >
> > The default for "passdb backend" changed between these versions
> > (from "smbpasswd" to "tdbsam") and, as you don't explicitly set it
> > in smb.conf, I'd gues this might be the reason for this.
> >
> > Try adding:
> >
> > passdb backend = smbpasswd
>
> Thanks for your reply. I am aware of this change but thought I wasn't
> affected because both smb.conf (PDC and other samba server) had
>    passdb backend = tdbsam
> already set. Yet another setting not listed by testparm.
Mmmh, testparm is not so bad ;-)

Try this:
# testparm -v -s /dev/null |grep passdb

Or my favorite upgrade path:
# testparm -v -s /dev/null > smb.conf.default-$(smbd -V|cut -f2 -d' ')
Run this before and after upgrading samba

To get a small host specific file without the services:
# testparm -s --section-name=global  > smb.conf.$HOSTNAME-$(smbd -V|
cut -f2 -d' ')

So you may end up with 4 files:
# ls smb.conf.*
smb.conf.myserver-3.0.22
smb.conf.myserver-3.4.7
smb.conf.default-3.0.22
smb.conf.default-3.4.7

Run a diff against the default files and you may see which config params
has changed their default values.

--

Regards
	Harry Jede