[Samba] Upgrading the Samba installation on an OS X 10.5 server?

Christopher Kessler ckessler at ucdavis.edu
Tue May 18 17:18:28 MDT 2010

Hello Samba folks,

I have an OS X 10.5 server that I would like to use to run as a PDC for some Windows 7 computers. The current Samba installation (3.0) does not work, and according to the Samba wiki I will need version 3.3 or 3.4. I would like to get the new version of Samba running; however, I am concerned whether or not doing so will work with the Open Directory authentication system in 10.5, and whether or not there will be incompatibilities with Apple's Server Admin tools.

Has anyone successfully installed an updated Samba installation on 10.5 server? I found a single thread on the Apple discussions regarding the exact same issue I am having (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=11224478&#11224478), but I do not want to resort to using Windows 2003/2008 server.

If anyone has a step-by-step, that would be fantastic.

Thanks a bunch,
-Topher