[Samba] I have problem installing latest version

Gaurav Agarwal gauravagsiet at gmail.com
Wed May 19 01:42:02 MDT 2010

Hi,

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 when i write the command

sudo apt-get install samba the version 2:3.3.2-ubuntu3.4 is getting
installed.

I established connection between window and my ubuntu using samba server.

I'm having various issues

First :

1. I need to set permissions for users so that whenever a new user comes
they should have their own folder created by their user name and with all
read,write and execute permissions.

2. If I login from the main root user then i shall all the authority of
accessing all the folders with all the permissions.

Here is my smb.conf file

[global]
    ; General server settings
    netbios name = gaurav
    server string =
    workgroup = esm
    announce version = 5.0
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192

    passdb backend = tdbsam
    security = user
    null passwords = true
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    name resolve order = hosts wins bcast

    wins support = no

    printing = CUPS
    printcap name = CUPS

    syslog = 1
    syslog only = yes

; NOTE: If you need access to the user home directories uncomment the
; lines below and adjust the settings to your hearts content.
;[homes]
    ;valid users = %S
    ;create mode = 0600
    ;directory mode = 0755
    ;browseable = no
    ;read only = no
    ;veto files = /*.{*}/.*/mail/bin/

; NOTE: Only needed if you run samba as a primary domain controller.
; Not needed as this config doesn't cover that matter.
;[netlogon]
    ;path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
    ;admin users = Administrator
    ;valid users = %U
    ;read only = no

; NOTE: Again - only needed if you're running a primary domain controller.
;[Profiles]
    ;path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
    ;valid users = %U
    ;create mode = 0600
    ;directory mode = 0700
    ;writeable = yes
    ;browseable = no

; NOTE: Inside this place you may build a printer driver repository for
; Windows - I'll cover this topic in another HOWTO.
[print$]
    path = /var/lib/samba/printers
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    read only = yes
    write list = root
    create mask = 0664
    directory mask = 0775

[printers]
    path = /tmp
    printable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    browseable = no

; Uncomment if you need to share your CD-/DVD-ROM Drive
;[DVD-ROM Drive]
    ;path = /media/cdrom
    ;browseable = yes
    ;read only = yes
    ;guest ok = yes

[MyFiles]
    path = /home/samba/
    browseable = no
    read only = no
    guest ok = no
    create mask = 0644
    directory mask = 0755
    force user = gaurav
    force group = gaurav

[Florian]
path = /home/samba/Florian
browseable = yes
read only = no
guest ok = no
create mask = 0644
directory mask = 0770
force user = florian
force group = florian

Here i have to create the user with all the permissions for every new user.

What i want is to make it general with all these preset authority(may be
using [homes] and [Profiles]).

Second :

1. What is the proper usage of force user,group and valid users.
2. How to make multiple users access the same directory using this.