[Samba] PDC migration from suse 8.2 - samba 2.2.7 ldap - to latest versions on ubuntu 8.04

Vladimir Psenicka vladimir.psenicka at prodeco.cz
Fri Mar 26 02:14:20 MDT 2010

Hi

Dne 25.3.2010 17:41, GG napsal(a):
> Hello Vladimir, John and all the NG :-)
> Thanks so much for answering. I really hoped someone would :-)
>
> So I installed Debian latest stable netinst on the future production
> server and here are my issues in the quotes :-( no net command on my
> suse 8.2
>
> Cheers :-)
> Giorgio
>

>> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 14:00, John H Terpstra <*@samba.org> wrote:
>>> On 03/25/2010 03:33 AM, Vladimir Psenicka wrote:
>>> What about Debian Stable with Sernet samba repo, where you can choose
>>> Samba 3.4.x or 3.5.x
>>>
>>> My hints on migrating to new server:
>>>
>>> 1. install new server (Samba,ldap etc.)
>
> done :-) Debian Stable netinst
>
>>> 2. set same hostname on new server
> My ignorance comes out :-)
> Must I set it different from the production server as FW points
> production.domain.com - I have clients using DNS=oldPDC and PDC
> forwards queries to FW. FW has pdc.domain.com defined to point to lan
> ip.

Ok, can be changed later

>>> 3. export ldap data from old server and import them to new server
>
> slapcat -f /etc/openldap/ldap.conf -l /ldap.ldif
> OK
>
>> Ensure that all local user and group accounts that are used by samba
>> have the same uid/gid.
> my ignorance again... another hint?
>>
>>> 4. export SID (net getlocalsid) and set it on new server (net
>>> setlocalsid oldsid)
>>
>> Note:
>>  net getdomainsid (on old server)
>>  net setdomainsid (on new server)
> thanks :-)
>
> # net getdomainsid
> -bash: net: command not found :-( and not found in yast
>
> I understand it has to do with extracting the sid from
> /etc/samba/secrets.tdb but how do I install the command? suse 8.2 yast
> has now net package and googling net is.. well wow!

Have you samba-client package installed?

PAVOUK\psenicka at psenicka:~> rpm -qf `which net`
samba-client-3.5.1-4.1.x86_64

or you can dig domainsid from ldap

>>> 5. configure samba on new server as PDC with ldap and shares in smb.conf
>>> from old samba smb.conf (check with testparm)
>
> I see it only contains shares so I bet smb.conf would just keep all
> the old settings rigth? /DATA will be rsynced

Maybe smb.conf from Samba2 is too different from Samba 3. I will keep
current smb.conf on new server and add only shares from old smb.conf to
new smb.conf.

>>> 6. stop samba on old server
>>> 7. copy all data (with perms) and netlogon share to new server
>>> 8. stop old server
>>> 9. start samba on new server a check everything is working fine (domain
>>> logon from windows box, shares and perms)
>>>
>>> This can be done best when no users are logged in samba (maybe at weekend?)
>>>
>>> P.S. We have ubuntu 8.04 as PDC and Windows 7 can't join to domain
>
> thanks I move to Debian with ease :-) ubuntu is a great deb derived right?

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS is now older than Debian Stable. When Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
comes out this will be no longer truth.

Vladimir Psenicka
IT system engineer
PRODECO, a.s.