[Samba] PDC migration from suse 8.2 - samba 2.2.7 ldap - to latest versions on ubuntu 8.04

GG jojomi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 03:59:14 MDT 2010

Hi!

I'll be at it in a few minutes installing samba client / net command :-)

I have a question about the samba sernet repos:
Shall I apt-get remove samba and use
http://enterprisesamba.com/index.php?id=148 +
http://enterprisesamba.com/index.php?id=56
 instead from start?

What is the real advantage of sernet? What about installing official
samba.org packages, are there differences with sernet (stability?) or
is it just a more liberal repository?

Also I read
>>> Ensure that all local user and group accounts that are used by samba
>>> have the same uid/gid.

Shall I copy /etc/shadow and /etc/passwd over? other files for groups
and users?

I use rsync --verbose  --progress --stats --compress --rsh=ssh \
      --recursive --times --perms --links  \
      --owner --group --devices --specials \
      --exclude-from '/root/exclude.txt (if any, not in this case as
I'm only syncing data dir)' \
      root at old_PDC:/DATA /DATA

This should bring over every attribute set on files... correct?

[[[did only partially in one case: I set up a twin install (fresh
install then live cd and full rsync and after that I kept mbr, but
changed /boot and the /ect/fstab settings) and the server started
etc.. LDAP did not work though: authentication was not available...
So I must be missing something or this rsync parameter set must be
missing something.. I had disconnected old PDC, set same IP and
hostname to the VM well this worked well for other virtualizations and
in this PDC I need to upgrade to win7 compatible samba version anyway
:-)
This was another story but just to share it as it is an excellent way
of migrating sometimes specially for machines you do not master and
this is my case very often.]]]

Cheers,
Giorgio