[Samba] Samba 3.5 slow. Help with benchmarks !

live.fx live.fx.mail at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 10:07:38 MDT 2010

Miguel Medalha wrote:

>> socket options = SO_BROADCAST SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>> TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
>
> It has been repeated "ad nauseam" that with modern kernels you shouldn't
> use "socket options" unless you know very well what you are doing and
> you have a very good reason for doing so.
>
> Also, in my case I found that the following parameter had a big positive
> impact in performance:
> use sendfile= yes
> --

Thanks for answer, Miguel.
I use "socket options" because 99% places in Internet recommends this, and
no one say about "modern kernels" - really. You are first :)  And of course,
this options not give me any visible effect.

I will try with "use sendfile = yes" but i`m not sure about this help..

Say me please, what transfer speed in the yours LAN ? Speed between Windows
clients and SAMBA server ? You have done some test? I ask this because i
can`t believe what SAMBA can do good transfer speed.
My test show me bad results -

Linux->Server FTP = 100 Mb/sec
Linux->Server NFS = 80-100 Mb/sec
Windows-to-Windows = 50-80 MB/Sec

Windows -> Server = 14-20 MB/sec. And this is my most pain :(
Linux -> Server (CIFS) = 10-20 MB/sec

Can you show me, how yours SAMBA work in Gigabit LAN ? What speeds ?