[Samba] Help with Samba 2.28 configuration

Thu Mar 11 09:31:49 MST 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:05:15AM -0500, Gaiseric Vandal wrote:
> On 03/11/2010 10:38 AM, Volker Lendecke wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 02:10:14PM -0800, Purnell, Alton J wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure if anyone will get this note.
>>> If you are willing to help me, page me @ 800.247.0493 .
>>> I  have Samba 2.28 installed and working on 2 Windows Server 2003.
>>> I am having trouble getting users authenticated on Samba via the windows server.
>>> I have solaris8 on the unix server. I  have tried many, many methods.
>>> Currently, I trying to configure Samba with a domain setup... still no success
>>>
>> Samba 2.2.8 is ancient. Isn't there a way to get something
>> newer?
>>
>> Volker
>>
> Is one of the Windows servers the PDC?  Is it in "mixed mode" (i.e. will
> support NT4 servers.)  If the domain mode is native 2000/2003 it
> probably is not going to work.

That's a myth. The only thing native mode prohibits is a NT4
Backup Domain Controller. Samba members work in all Windows
domain modes, although for example 2.2 won't talk to a
default w2k3 dc due to missing SMB signing in 2.2.

Volker