[Samba] Help with Samba 2.28 configuration

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 09:05:15 MST 2010

On 03/11/2010 10:38 AM, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 02:10:14PM -0800, Purnell, Alton J wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure if anyone will get this note.
>> If you are willing to help me, page me @ 800.247.0493 .
>> I  have Samba 2.28 installed and working on 2 Windows Server 2003.
>> I am having trouble getting users authenticated on Samba via the windows server.
>> I have solaris8 on the unix server. I  have tried many, many methods.
>> Currently, I trying to configure Samba with a domain setup... still no success
>>
> Samba 2.2.8 is ancient. Isn't there a way to get something
> newer?
>
> Volker

Is one of the Windows servers the PDC?  Is it in "mixed mode" (i.e. will
support NT4 servers.)  If the domain mode is native 2000/2003 it
probably is not going to work.

Or are you trying to configure Samba as the PDC?

On the samba server, do you see the users with "wbinfo -u" command?
Do you see the users with the "getent passwd" command?

If you see the users with "wbinfo -u" but not "getent passwd" verify
that /etc/nsswitch.conf has entries for
     passwd: winbind ....
     group: winbind ....

Can you update your machine to Solaris 10?   That has a bundled Samba
3.0.x.   (But Solaris 10 has some pretty big changes as well that you
may want to avoid for now.)   Solaris 8 is  no longer a supported
platform by Sun.

You can also download precompiled samba packages from
www.sunfreeware.com BUT I don't think it includes the necessary nss
winbind files so you may want to recompile anyway.  (I would still use
GCC from sunfreeware for this.)   If samba is the PDC and the only samba
server and you aren't setting up domain trusts  then you don't need the
winbind stuff working anyway.

Solaris 10 is available for both sparc and x86-  you can use a spare PC
as a test machine even if your final platform will be on sparc.
Solaris 9 should also be available for download for both platforms-
Solaris 9 is pretty similar from the command line to Solaris 8.