[Samba] Samba3 to samba4 migration

Indexer indexer at internode.on.net
Wed Jun 30 16:00:53 MDT 2010

> Hi,
> We are in the same situation with large user/group/machine set needed to be ported to the new s4 world. The only solution i can see at the moment would be to dump the contents of the appropriate LDAP sections (it being users/group/machines/etc) into ldif(s) in a format acceptable by s4 and then add them using ldbadd (and possbly sync using ldbmodify later on).
> Would it be a worthwhile to add "yet another net cmd" utility to allow importing stuff from existing LDAP infrastructure (maybe conceptually simmilar to existing vampire cmd)?

Slightly off topic, but is Samba4 planning to support openLDAP as a backend, potentially, able to convert a live running samba3 PDC with OpenLDAP to samba4 with no change (for the negative) to users or machines etc? I am just finishing deploying samba3 as a PDC with OpenLDAP, but the organisation I am doing this for wants to keep OpenLDAP in long term use, with hopefully no disruptions to the Users. The ability to upgrade to samba4 on top of this would be exactly something that we have in mind (hopefully!)

Thank you four all your continued work, it is greatly appreciated and keeps me running one less heater.... i mean windows server.

William