[Samba] Long delays when launching programs for the first time in my Windows 7 Profile (Samba 3.4.3 as PDC)

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 14:02:47 MDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Tom H. Lautenbacher
<mailinglists at lautenbacher.biz> wrote:
> I do not think that it is neither intended by MS nor normal to take so long.
>
> I am using roaming profiles in a network with Vista64Business clients.
> Although the users (mainly image processing work on a professional level)
> tend to have rather huge user profiles (100MB-2 GB is normal, the max what I
> had seen was 32GB), those login/logouts are actually speedy compared to the
> Win7-64-pro userprofile that I have just freshly created and that is only a
> few kilobytes in size.
>
> A second thing is that the problem concerns only the initial creation of the
> Win7 profile; it takes approx. 40 minutes). All subsequent logins/logouts
> are very fast and take approx. only 10-20 seconds.
> The comparison of those values shows that it is more but just an delay
> because of the creation of some kilobytes of files.
>
> The third thing is that I am having the same problem with programs that I
> start. Programs that are installed locally on the client! When I am starting
> them for the first time, I am having a delay of 5-10 Minutes until the
> program starts. The subsequent times I start the program, it starts
> instantly.
>
> I am guessing that the problem has something to do with DNS or other
> network-layer issues. Or maybe it is the Client searching for something on
> the Samba server that is not existing?? It seems like the workstation Is
> sending some query to samba and then waits ages for a timeout or something.
> There is almost no network traffic the time that I am waiting....

with xp/2003 you could turn on the userenv.log, but apparently this
does not work with windows 7
(http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverGP/thread/a9b36648-aa9f-4ff7-b23f-c1123b7984e9);
so check the event log of the client and/or use process monitor from
sysinternals to get a log of what is going on it. See this
http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2010/01/13/3305263.aspx
for inspiration.

good luck!

--