[Samba] Can access samba server via HOSTNAME not by IP

Dawid Kuźba dawid.kuzba at mesp-ce.com
Tue Jun 29 07:29:24 MDT 2010

Hello,

I have following problem:

We have to replace Windows 2003 domain controller with Windows 2008 .
Previously used version of Samba don't work properly with Windows 2008
(security issues) therefore I upgraded one of file servers(FC8) to Samba
3.0.33 (Release 0.fc8).

Result seemed to be ok until I realized that I can access shares only via
hostname, for example: \\smb2.mydomain.net or just \\smb2, trying to reach
it via IP is impossible. Result is: Windows cannot find
\\IPADDRESS....blablabla

I also deployed completely new machine (CentOS 5.5, Samba 3.0.33, release
3.28.el5) just to be sure that it is not because of bad upgrade process and
result is the same.

I need access to server just by IP as I have separated localizations(LAN's)
where DNS is not always working as it should.

Below my smb.conf file:

[global]

        workgroup = MYDOMAIN

        realm = MYDOMAIN.NET

        server string = smb2

        security = ADS

        log level = 3

        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

        max log size = 50

        idmap uid = 10000-20000

        idmap gid = 10000-20000

        winbind separator = +

        winbind enum users = Yes

        winbind enum groups = Yes

[test1]

        comment = Test Dir RW All

        path = /Data/export/test1

        read only = No

[test2]

        comment = Some System Limited Access

        path = /Data/export/test2

        valid users = %D+name.surname1, %D+name.surname2

        read only = No

Any help will do as this problem stops our domain migration.

Thanks in advance.

Dawid